Welcome!

I believe that each of us is endowed with a font of creative energy. If we are lucky we find both an outlet for that energy and the time and means to create. For the past ten years or so I have been designing and building furniture and other things from wood. I think I have some aptitude for it, and like anything, practice has improved my skills. I really don’t know how my work stacks up with what else is out there – what I do know is that I thoroughly enjoy the entire process – from conceptual design, the trigonometry most of us forgot before high school graduation, joinery, and finishing. Wood is a complex substance with a wonderful spectrum of scents, feel, and looks, and I derive great satisfaction from working with it to create objects that are functional, durable, and pleasing to the eye and touch - to me it is the perfect blend of the aesthetic and the practical. I set this blog up to allow my family and friends to see some of what I have done from across the thousands of miles that may separate us. Comments are always appreciated.

Winter 2004-2005 - A Dining Room Table

This was a major project for me - and a huge step forward in both joinery and the use of hand tools - specifically chisels.

I first checked out about a dozen books from the library and learned all about proper table design - height, size for each setting, and most important, a leg layout that would afford each setting ample leg room. I have dined at too many tables where I've clobbered my knees.

This was my first time working with mahogany, and I now understand why it is the wood of choice for so much furniture. It has a remarkably high degree of workability and of course takes a finish beautifully. So too does walnut, the accent wood used for the spindles, edging, and square plugs.

We bought a set of chairs from JC Penney first, so I had to try to match the color of the wood of the chairs. This involved having a stain custom-mixed which I then used for everything but the center boards of the table top. It actually worked - the match is pretty close to perfect.

This was also my first experience with breadboard ends - and the hidden joinery that allows the wood to expand without blowing the joint apart. Almost cut two fingers off in the process..... Needless to say I now have ALOT more respect (read fear) for the table saw.

I wanted a table with leaves that could be expanded to accomodate the few times a year that we have more than six people over for dinner, but I didn't want a seam in the middle of the tabletop to look at the rest of the time. After much research I found the solution - as illustrated below. Ended up with two pages of quadratic equations trying to calculate an exact 3/4" rise in the length of travel of each leaf.

After the staining of all but the center of the tabletop, I applied oil to everything, then rub-on polyurethane on the top, and finished with wax. The top is my first experience with a properly buffed out wax finish - in the right light it positively glows.

There are a few things I wish I could do over (and maybe some day will) - but for the most part it turned out very well. Still learning tho.....

No comments: