Welcome!

I believe that each of us is endowed with a font of creative energy. If we are lucky we find both an outlet for that energy and the time and means to create. For the past ten years or so I have been designing and building furniture and other things from wood. I think I have some aptitude for it, and like anything, practice has improved my skills. I really don’t know how my work stacks up with what else is out there – what I do know is that I thoroughly enjoy the entire process – from conceptual design, the trigonometry most of us forgot before high school graduation, joinery, and finishing. Wood is a complex substance with a wonderful spectrum of scents, feel, and looks, and I derive great satisfaction from working with it to create objects that are functional, durable, and pleasing to the eye and touch - to me it is the perfect blend of the aesthetic and the practical. I set this blog up to allow my family and friends to see some of what I have done from across the thousands of miles that may separate us. Comments are always appreciated.

Other Work

A Cream and Sugar Serving Tray
I made two of these little trays from ohia and mango - both brought back from the big island of Hawaii.

A Set of Picture Frames

I made these picture frames for a set of prints I bought while in the Everglades. The wood is maple, lacewood, and bloodwood with walnut splines. My first fun with exotic hardwoods.


Cutting Boards
Two cutting boards to commemorate our two most important fish here in Alaska - the halibut and the salmon. The woods used are beech (for the bodies), lacewood, bloodwood, and zebrawood. This was the first time I tried joining freehand cuts. The secret - double-stick carpet tape! Overlay the two boards with the tape between them and one (very nervous) cut on the bandsaw!


Yard Art - Lanterns
Much of early/mid 20th century american and european furniture has been heavily influenced by classic japanese design. However dilute, these values also inform my work. Going way back before my interest in furniture, I 've always been fascinated by traditional japanese gardens and especially the stone lanterns that are often times present there. I have no skill or experience whatsoever in masonry (not that I wouldn't like to try it some day), so I decided to try to adapt the style to wood. While hardly on the level of "fine furniture", I thoroughly enjoyed putting these two lanterns together - and they definitely add something to the yard.

No comments: