Welcome!

I believe that each of us is endowed with a font of creative energy. If we are lucky we find both an outlet for that energy and the time and means to create. For the past ten years or so I have been designing and building furniture and other things from wood. I think I have some aptitude for it, and like anything, practice has improved my skills. I really don’t know how my work stacks up with what else is out there – what I do know is that I thoroughly enjoy the entire process – from conceptual design, the trigonometry most of us forgot before high school graduation, joinery, and finishing. Wood is a complex substance with a wonderful spectrum of scents, feel, and looks, and I derive great satisfaction from working with it to create objects that are functional, durable, and pleasing to the eye and touch - to me it is the perfect blend of the aesthetic and the practical. I set this blog up to allow my family and friends to see some of what I have done from across the thousands of miles that may separate us. Comments are always appreciated.

Late 2007 - Jewelry Boxes

I don't now recall what made me decide to try my hand at boxes. I do know that of late I've been very interested in detail, and a box affords the opportunity to showcase one's attention to detail. At the library I found a fascinating book called "400 Boxes" that is, as the title suggests, a book featuring 400 hand-made boxes. There are some truly wonderous creations there - and it makes me realize how much farther one could take this (if one had all the time in the world, of course).
The boxes were made primarily of padouk and canarywood, with accents of maple, purpleheart, bloodwood, walnut, zebrawood, and ipe.

This project was my first use of dovetails - the classic woodworking joint. They're a time consuming and exacting process (and that's saying something coming from a guy building furniture in his spare time). These were rough-cut with a table saw and finished with chisels. If I made them on a regular basis I would buy a jig for use with a router - and who knows? maybe someday I will.With each project I seem to be using hand tools more and more, which is gratifying. What one can do with a couple of sharp chisels can't be duplicated by machine, and chisels, files, and a block plane are perfect for ensuring proper fitting of the myriad parts and pieces that go into my projects these days. AND there's less dust. AND I get to listen to music and maybe even sip on a beer while I work - luxuries not afforded with power tools.

1 comment:

Hand Tools said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!