Welcome!

I believe that each of us is endowed with a font of creative energy. If we are lucky we find both an outlet for that energy and the time and means to create. For the past ten years or so I have been designing and building furniture and other things from wood. I think I have some aptitude for it, and like anything, practice has improved my skills. I really don’t know how my work stacks up with what else is out there – what I do know is that I thoroughly enjoy the entire process – from conceptual design, the trigonometry most of us forgot before high school graduation, joinery, and finishing. Wood is a complex substance with a wonderful spectrum of scents, feel, and looks, and I derive great satisfaction from working with it to create objects that are functional, durable, and pleasing to the eye and touch - to me it is the perfect blend of the aesthetic and the practical. I set this blog up to allow my family and friends to see some of what I have done from across the thousands of miles that may separate us. Comments are always appreciated.

Early 2008 - A Coffee Table

In the summer of 2007 we took a raft trip down the East Fork of the Chulitna with our Talkeetna friends and spent a night at a place that has the most amazing collection of river-washed rocks. In the midst of carousing I had the idea of using some of those rocks in a coffee table so I brought back a whole mess of them (which incidentally and for the record pales in comparison to the volume & weight of what most of of our friends brought out). Then in January/February 2008 we had a most enjoyable vacation in California and Arizona - and while in California we stayed at my sister Mary's house in LA. Two things while we were there - we went to the Gamble House in Pasadena, regarded as THE outstanding example of Greeene and Greene archtecture/design (they being Charles and Henry - leading lights of the early 20th century Arts and Crafts movement), and we spent several mornings and evenings in my sister's living room which featured a coffee table custom built for them that was derived from more or less the same style as what we had just seen in Pasadena. Suddenly it all came into focus... and shortly after we returned to Alaska my design was more or less complete.
The size and dimensions are pretty close to what is in my sister's living room, the "cloud lifts" (the offsets in the horizontal spreaders) are stolen from both Greene and Greene and the guy who built my sister's table, the square plugs are both a Greene and Greene touch and what I previously explored in my dining room table, and the choice of materials - mahogany and walnut - I've used on several other pieces. AND I used the Chulitna River Rocks....
This little detail roughly doubled the time I spent on the project, but it was a really interesting exercise, allowed me to stay true to my goal of stretching my boundaries with each project, and I think added greatly to the aesthetics of the finished piece. It's certainly unique....
I've been getting more and more comfortable with chisels, and wanted to incorporate a classic Arts and Crafts detail, the butterfly splice, into my table. Even in as close a detail as shown above, it actually looks okay! The butterfly itself is lacewood.

With this project I really think I've elevated my hobby to a new level. Every joint on this piece fit perfectly and honestly, I think it would have been almost as stable if I hadn't used any glue at all! Most rewarding...

The finish is oil with two coats of rub-on polyurethane on the table and shelf tops, and wax.

5 comments:

bikegirl said...

wow. thanks for sharing these photos and the inspiration for the design! Glad Corinne listed your site on her site.
what a beautiful table.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful table. What do offsets do?

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul,

You've done some really great work an I am very impressed. It doesn't surprise me at all that you have plunged in head first (and as is apparent, for some time now). This is another wonderful example of the intensity that you display in so many things. I also loved Corinnes' website, especially the Prayer of St. Francis for the New Year. The choir that I sing in at church sings two settings of this beautiful prayer. Hope both of you are well. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Paul,
It's Len Campbell, your old classmate from St. Peter's Class of 1972 in Merchantville, New Jersey. I created a website for our class at:
http://stpeterschool1972.tripod.com/

I hope it brings back some good memories. I did find & corespond with your sister several months ago and she mentioned you were in Alaska and that she would be seeing you.
Len Campbell
St. Peter Merchantville Grade School
My email: LawyerLLC@aol.com

outdoor59 said...

Nice Blog and Gorgeous Furniture! You need to post entries more frequently!