Welcome!

I believe that each of us is endowed with a font of creative energy. If we are lucky we find both an outlet for that energy and the time and means to create. For the past ten years or so I have been designing and building furniture and other things from wood. I think I have some aptitude for it, and like anything, practice has improved my skills. I really don’t know how my work stacks up with what else is out there – what I do know is that I thoroughly enjoy the entire process – from conceptual design, the trigonometry most of us forgot before high school graduation, joinery, and finishing. Wood is a complex substance with a wonderful spectrum of scents, feel, and looks, and I derive great satisfaction from working with it to create objects that are functional, durable, and pleasing to the eye and touch - to me it is the perfect blend of the aesthetic and the practical. I set this blog up to allow my family and friends to see some of what I have done from across the thousands of miles that may separate us. Comments are always appreciated.

1999 - 2003 - Early Efforts with Solid Wood

I started on these two dressers shortly after we moved to Anchorage. I wanted to work with local material, so I bought several rough-milled boards of Alaska Spruce. That turnned out to be a mistake as unfortunately they were not kiln dried, and even after months acclimating in my shop, the boards warped horribly once they were assembled into the furniture. Live and learn, I suppose... So the warped wood coupled with the fact that my joinery skills were at this point fairly primitive led to furniture that was a long shot shy of any display of mastery. But, almost 10 years later they still work, they still look pretty good (if you don't look too closely), and taught me alot that I was able to apply on my later endeavors.

A year later I built two of these bedside tables to go in the same room. This time I used kiln-dried pine boards and lo and behold, no warping! My joinery was vastly improved - though still pretty rough. If I had it to do over again the tables would have been an inch or two taller, but aside from that I am happy with how they turned out - even all these many years and projects later. Note the cherry legs on both this piece and the dressers above: They have a peculiar torpedo profile that I saw in a store and liked - so I tried my hand at it. On every project I consciously try to include something I have never done before in an effort to expand my skills.


No comments: