Welcome!

I believe that each of us is endowed with a font of creative energy. If we are lucky we find both an outlet for that energy and the time and means to create. For the past ten years or so I have been designing and building furniture and other things from wood. I think I have some aptitude for it, and like anything, practice has improved my skills. I really don’t know how my work stacks up with what else is out there – what I do know is that I thoroughly enjoy the entire process – from conceptual design, the trigonometry most of us forgot before high school graduation, joinery, and finishing. Wood is a complex substance with a wonderful spectrum of scents, feel, and looks, and I derive great satisfaction from working with it to create objects that are functional, durable, and pleasing to the eye and touch - to me it is the perfect blend of the aesthetic and the practical. I set this blog up to allow my family and friends to see some of what I have done from across the thousands of miles that may separate us. Comments are always appreciated.

Late 2009 - Two Foot Stools

 Corinne wanted a foot stool for our little cabin in Talkeetna.  I was looking for a project, so these were the result.

Made of mahogany, they feature legs that are tapered on all four sides, allowing me to experiment with non-standard mortise and tenon joinery.  Most of the time builders "cheat" by only tapering the outside surfaces, but I was interested in making things a little more challenging - it's the best way to learn new things.


I also took the opportunity to further explore the raised detailing I first worked with on my side table (featured on a previous post).  Fussy, yes - but again, that's how one learns, and I do this for enjoyment after all - not expedience.

These stools were even more of a collaboration than usual.  On every project I avail myself of Corinne's ideas regarding design, form, and function, and invariably the finished piece is better for the inclusion of her ideas.  With these, not only were they her idea to start with, but she collaborated on the design and fabricated the cushions.  So she got her footstool at our Talkeetna cabin and its twin lives in our living room in Anchorage.











No comments: